What is the Inclusive Neighborhood Project?
The Inclusive Neighbourhood Project (INP) is a partnership between Corrymeela and the Northern Ireland Community of Refugees and Asylum Seekers (NICRAS) developed to support integration between the refugee and host communities in neighbourhoods across Northern Ireland.
Aim of the project
The aim of the project is to support integration between the host community and the growing refugee community in Northern Ireland.
How this is done
Plan of action
The plan is to work with people from the refugee and host communities in specific shared neighbourhoods. To identify and train people from both groups in these areas, and to work together to support the process of integration between neighbours. Part of this process is to develop positive links and understanding of one another and the culture surrounding the other in a safe environment. Some specific objectives are:
- By developing a better understanding of each other and working together in the neighbourhood.
- By the development of a package of training to enhance understanding and awareness.
- By the promotion of ways of dealing with difference that may reduce the likelihood of sectarian behaviour and violence, and increase the potential for mutual integration.
Get involved by contacting NICRAS or by contacting the Inclusive Neighbourhood Project directly.
- To identify the specific issues faced by the refugee community and host community and design relevant training with both groups to address these issues.
- To provide training for members of the host community and refugee community through residential and community based programmes covering cultural diversity, conflict management, facilitation skills, orientation, mediation, creative expression group work and communication.
- To support, resource and mentor key members of both host and refugee communities with training programmes and materials.
- To develop common actions between the host community and the refugee community and build up a support.Informing and supporting advocacy groups.
- To establish and share the learning and good practice from the project.